Friday, February 10, 2017

Ten Thousand Steps


When I was told that there was “limited internet” at the estancia, I thought to myself, “No big deal; I have dealt with no cell service and limited internet many times before.”  Well, not like this, I haven’t.  At this particular estancia, “limited internet” means [severely] limited – as in, employees only have access to a tiny hotspot that only works in the dining room (which we are not allowed in) and kitchen.  Oh yeah, and we are only allowed on it between the hours of 2pm and 6pm.  Did I mention that we are often have lunch at 1:30pm then start work again 3:15pm?  Not a huge window of opportunity.  Anyway, the point of this prologue is to make excuses for why I have not posted anything since I left the states and to explain why the adventures that my best friend and I had a month ago are just now being shared with the world.  Anyway, here it goes, my first week in Argentina:

Day 1: Step off the plane and immediately regret my clothing choice of jeans, t-shirt, jacket, and scarf.  Shaylin (the aforementioned bff) and I both travelled from cold places in the United States, and therefore had to dress according so that we did not freeze into icicles before getting on our respective planes.  On the flip side, this meant that as soon as we stepped off the plane and into the 90 degree weather with 80% humidity enveloping the BA airport, our bodies – mine especially – went into panic mode and turned us into human waterfalls.  To top it off, our complimentary shuttle to the hostel never came so we had to work out how to get a taxi.  Neither of us speaks Spanish which made this much more challenging.  Over two hours after landing in this brutal heat, we were gratefully walking into our hostel, ditching our damp clothes, and changing into shorts and t-shirts so that we could explore the surrounding area.  Like little kids that want to explore but not lose sight of their mothers, we stayed close to the street that our hostel was on while tentatively testing our directional skills as we branched out into the neighboring avenues.  Following an hour of aimless wandering, we decided that we deserved a break and found a small café with outdoor seating and an understandable menu.  This meal began one of our favorite activities while in the city: people watching.  My favorite thing about eating in this country is that no one rushes you.  Even if you finish all of your food and are simply sitting and talking, reading, or people watching, no one hovers around your table to passively aggressively get you to feel awkward and leave.  Nope; they leave you on your own and you could sit for hours without being bothered.  I loved it!



Recoleta Cemetery

Day 2: Time to leave the nest.  We wanted to see as much of Buenos Aires as possible, which meant that we needed to combine all of our street smarts, Spanish skills, and patience to venture out of Palermo, the borough that our hostel was in, and into the surrounding neighborhoods that comprise this massive city.  Our first outing was to Recoleta.  It boasts 100-year-old palaces, the most expensive cemetery plots in the world, and numerous markets with handmade crafts and traditional Argentine trinkets.  The area is so famous that it is host to several free walking tours, encouraging both naïve tourists (such as ourselves) and curious locals to join the tour and learn about this historic neighborhood.  Over the next nine hours, Shaylin and I successfully navigated the underground metro system, got lost among the old stone alleyways, eventually found the tour group, learned a ton about the history of Recoleta, discovered why there are so many pizzerias in Buenos Aires, gained a new appreciation for cold beverages, discovered that we have terrible map interpretation skills, and achieved almost 20,000 steps on her Fitbit!  The tour itself lasted about 6 hours and included stops such as an imposingly ornate Jewish synagogue, several restored palaces, beautiful parks and plazas, San Martin’s monument, the Big Ben of Argentina, and finally, the cemetery of Recoleta where Eva Peron is buried amongst other wealthy and well-known Argentines.  This cemetery was incredible; no wonder it is the most expensive piece of real estate in the country.  One tiny plot – on which massive, intricate memorials, mausoleums, and 18 coffin vaults are erected – can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $150,000 USD!  The entire cemetery is only about 4 city blocks but beneath the lavish tombs lay nearly 4,700 individuals, grouped together with their families.  Sixty-five caretakers are required to maintain the cemetery; families pay annual fees to keep their plots looking polished.  These fees make up the caretakers’ salaries, so if a family stops paying for their plot, the caretakers stop caring for it and it ends up looking like your more traditional grave: dusty, graying, and covered in wilted flowers and dried leaves.  





Following our stroll through the cemetery, we meandered through the street fair until our bellies grumbled in protest.  From that point, it took us another hour to find this specific restaurant that had been recommended to us.  We were exhausted, our feet were sore, and we were beyond the point of being ‘hangry,’ but as soon as we entered this paradise we knew that it had been worth the sixty minutes of circling.  The atmosphere was totally relaxed and with a constant breeze cooling the air, we settled into our seats and awaited our food.  Holy cow.  It was totally worth the wait.  This food was absolutely fantastic!  Some kind of pumpkin and corn concoction for Shaylin and a delicious, cheesy pasta dish for me.  We could barely move from the table afterwards.


Day 3: Two and a half years in Tanzania without incident, but can’t go three days in Argentina without being pickpocketed.  Yep.  That happened.  Like a naïve, trusting, first-time-out-of-the-country tourist I allowed myself to get pickpocketed.  It happened while we were standing on a crowded bus on our way to La Boca, more specifically El Caminito.  While I was grasping the bar to avoid toppling over as the bus wove through traffic without heed to traffic laws, someone reached into my bag and plucked out my entire wallet.  Why was I even carrying my whole wallet?  Because I am lazy and stupid.  I even thought that morning about locking up my wallet and just taking a couple pesos but habit won out and I brought my entire wallet.  Goodbye, credit card.  Farewell, license.  Adios, all my cash money. Nice knowing you, flash drives.  Have a nice new life, scuba diving license, REI card, Smith’s card, and Teton County library card; we had a good run.  When I discovered my wallet missing, I felt sick to my stomach and was incredibly upset with myself for being so careless.  Fortunately for me, Shaylin was there to bail me out, my mom wired me money the next day, and a local artist brought a smile to my face.  Now that my stupidity has been exposed to all, time to move on and tell y’all about how great the rest of the day was!




Olivia
El Caminito in La Boca is the most easily recognizable area in Buenos Aires.  It is difficult to miss the vibrant colors and lively caricatures that cover the buildings on this street and set it apart from anywhere else in the city.  It looks as if someone brought beach house vibes to this random street in La Boca.  The energy pulsating through the cobbled streets was palpable, and was due to more than just the excessive number of sun-burned, water guzzling, picture snapping tourists.  La Caminito hosts countless tango dancers and traditional singers; you are guaranteed to see at least two sets of tango dancers performing at any given time.  And if the dancers are resting, there is always an older Argentine man to take the stage and belt out traditional songs accompanied by an accordion which creates a sound that would seem more at home in Italy than in Argentina.  We blended in with the throngs of tourists gaping at the dancers, musicians, and colorful buildings; it was a complete sensory overload.  As we wandered through the shops, we met Guillermo and Olivia, little did I know what an impression they would make on me.  Guillermo is a local artist who creates wistful images of tango dancers and dreamy landscapes; Olivia is his stylish canine companion who perches beside him on her own stool.  It was as Shaylin was perusing his work that I discovered my missing wallet.  In vain, I tried to mask my distress but Guillermo realized that I was upset, and without hesitation offered to bring me to his home so that I could use his computer/internet to cancel my cards. He offered me water to drink and a place to sit down.  He was genuinely concerned for me and distraught that a fellow Argentine had been the cause of my grief.  As I was trying to keep myself composed, he brought me to tears by giving me a drawing and sketching a self-portrait on the back.  His compassion for me, a total stranger, was so unexpected that I could not even react in an appropriately gracious manner.  Once again, in a time of distress, someone has reminded me that there is infinitely more goodness and infinitely more kind people in the world than there are bad.  With a drawing from Guillermo, and a snuggle from Olivia, I was braced for the rest of the day and able to enjoy the rest of our time in this fantastically colored neighborhood.  The gelato we got later that night further helped to revive my spirits :)




THE best friend a girl could ask for
Day 4: Our fourth day in this expansive city was spent at the Tigre Delta, touring the communities that inhabit the banks of the river.  On this particular day, we used all forms of transportation – train, bus, and boat – to get the full experience of this unique area.  Boat taxis are the main form of transportation in the delta region, so we hopped aboard.  We went on a quick tour of the neighborhoods perched on the banks and enjoyed the view from the boat.  Nearly every home had a small wooden dock and some sort of personal water vessel.  As we puttered along, I found myself thinking, “I wonder if this is what the bayous in Louisiana look like.”  I have never been to that part of the country, but I imagine the bayous to be filled with similar scenery: mossy trees, willows draped over the bank, hammocks strung between trees, muddy water charging the land then retreating as boats pass, and wooden houses on stilts set back from the river.  Whether or not this is an accurate image, I really enjoyed the peacefulness of being on the boat and getting a different perspective on these homes.  At the end of the tour we were deposited on a small beach so that we could swim and nap in the warm sunshine. Following another boat ride, train ride, then bus ride, we arrived back in the Palermo borough where we wasted no time in finding a bottle of wine and refreshing salads, and made ourselves at home on our hostel’s outdoor patio.



Day 5: So many bakeries!  Because we had been going non-stop for the past few days, we decided to reward ourselves and sleep in - at least as much as one can sleep in while in a crowded hostel.  The only productive thing that we did on this day was to buy our ferry tickets for the following day; we were going to Uruguay!  Other than that, we made it our mission to tour as many local bakeries as possible and sample the deliciousness.  A lazy, but satisfying, day.







Day 6: Eight hours in another country.  That was about all it took to explore Colonia, Uruguay.  We had been warned about how tiny this historical port town was and our informant was not exaggerating.  While very charming, there was not much to this tiny village.  Upon leaving the ferry, you walk about 15 minutes up the coast to reach the town.  To enter, you walk through a carved stone archway with a drawbridge.  A tall, but crumbling, stone wall surrounded the town limits; this must have been a well-protected area in its prime.  Most of the streets were uneven cobblestone, worn down from years of foot traffic and carts bouncing along its surface.  In the center of the town is a lighthouse, the top of which affords a spectacular panoramic view of the coast and town.  The cool breeze and fresh air was a relief from the stifling, still air below and the harsh sun.  It took about 90 minutes for us to explore the alleyways of Colonia, then we ventured out into the more modern part of the town in search of shade, food, and a perfect people-watching spot.  We found an ideal café on a busy street and enjoyed our vantage point for over 2 hours before reluctantly leaving and finding our way back to the dock to board the ferry home.  I am glad that we went to check it out, but if I was to do it again I might skip Colonia, or at least go on a guided tour so that I understand the history of the quiet port village.
fishing with a bamboo rod and piece of string






view from the ferry coming back into BA
Day 7: Adios mi amiga.  The time has come: time for me to put on my big girl pants, say goodbye to my best friend and co-adventurer, and prepare myself for the next four months.  Shaylin was scheduled to get on a plane at 9pm and I had an overnight bus to catch at 10:15pm.  This meant that we got to spend most of the day together before parting ways. We dedicated the morning and early afternoon to discovering the popular local spots of Palermo.  We happened upon a sprawling park with a large pond, and extensive rose garden.  As we watched people in paddle boats trawling around the pond we walked the entire circumference, determined to reach our daily goal of 10,000 steps.  Our stroll through the park was ended by our persistent desire for food. (Are you catching the theme here??) Our bellies lead us to the opposite side of Palermo where we found an outdoor market and numerous cafes.  After perusing our options, we chose one with a view of the market and plenty of outdoor seating.  As much as I love exploring new places and experiencing new cultures, my favorite part of this week was getting to spend countless hours with Shaylin, just catching up on life, talking about nothing and everything at once, and sitting in companionable silence.  I am terrible at staying in touch, so between living in Tanzania and working in Wyoming with no cell phone service, I lost touch with my friends.  Thankfully, our friendship is a forgiving one; a group of us have been friends since 3rd and 4th grade and no matter where we are in the world, it is a friendship that will persist and last a lifetime.  When Shaylin got in the taxi to go to the airport, all of these thoughts were going through my head and I realized how blessed I am to have such amazing people in my life. Then it set in that I was once again alone, in a foreign country, with no language skills, and my thoughts turned to something along the lines of, “What the hell am I doing?! What will my life be like for the next 4 months?  I wish Shaylin was still here.  I need to call my mom…”  And so my solo adventure in Argentina began.
Dog Walker is a profession in BA; compared to others, this guy is an amateur






No comments:

Post a Comment