Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Unfortunate Incidences of Nakedness

Working at an isolated estancia in Argentina, one expects to become close with one’s coworkers – we work together, eat together, relax together, and for us girls, sleep together (as in we share a house).  As a result of this forced comradery, some of us form genuine friendships and are planning ways of seeing each other after our time at the estancia.  This is the positive side of the limited space here.  However, the downside is that there is also no such thing as “private space;” we all eat in the same room, share a bathroom while working, are together on rides, and even our little house is not sacred space.  So, in addition to emotional ‘closeness,’ we are also physically very close.  All the time.  Every day. Because of this, one is braced for a few awkward physical encounters around the estancia: accidentally walking in on someone using the bathroom, seeing a stealthy kiss, seeing your co-worker in nothing but a too-small towel. But due to this constant expectation, everyone is always on guard and trying to prevent any awkward run-ins, and to be honest, there are very few incidents at the estancia.

But, when you finally get to leave the bubble of the estancia, either on a ride or during your off-day, you think, “yes, I am safe and finally can have some alone time.” WRONG. Wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong! The following two anecdotes are prime examples of the dangers of letting your guard down, even when you think that you are alone.  Of the two stories that follow, only one is of my own experience. (Fortunately I don’t have any more to share…for now).  The other story belongs to my dear friend, roommate, and partner in crime, henceforth known as Robyn Robinson. May these two narratives be your cautionary tale, and save you from the same embarrassment that befell Robyn and I.  (Also, please excuse my language in the first story – I am telling it from Robyn’s point of view, using her own Scottish sayings and proper English tendencies; don’t worry, I haven’t secretly gone off to finishing school). 

Peeing on the Prairie
“I knew that I had to go fast, that this was my chance.”  Robyn’s final thought before her moment of embarrassment…

One of the most uncomfortable feelings is having to pee while riding a horse; especially a horse with a jaunty step, bouncy trot, and hard-hitting canter.  Therefore, out on the trail, it is not uncommon to have to stop to let the guests relieve themselves behind a conveniently located bush or, if you’re lucky, a grove of trees.  Such was the case as Robyn accompanied guests on a cattle drive: one of the guests requested a pit stop and as Robyn stood, holding this woman’s horse, she realized that she herself also needed a pit stop.  However, she did not want to ask a guest to hold her horse and the gauchos were out of sight, so she opted to hold it in and wait for an opportune moment.  That moment came just a few minutes later as the gaucho and guests disappeared over a rise and Robyn found herself alone and shielded from view.  Now was the time!  “I hopped off Aguito (the horse) and immediately crouched to the ground.  I was trying to go really fast.”  While in the crouch, she was furtively watching the hill that the guests had ridden over, just in case they returned to look for her.  What she didn’t expect was to hear voices approaching from a different direction….

“Shit, shit, shit. I can’t stop midway.  Faster, faster!” Racing against the nearing voices, her bladder tried it’s best, but wasn’t quick enough.  Just as Robyn pulled up her fluorescent pink underwear, she felt eyes upon her: one of the guests had spotted her.  Even worse, the gaucho on the ride, a 16 year old who may have had a crush on this lovely guide, was right next to the guest!  When questioned later, he claimed to have averted his gaze before seeing anything; and yet, an obvious flush comes over the boy’s face as he recounts the story. “Franco saw my bum,” is how Robyn summarizes this story as she shares her embarrassing encounter with us back at the estancia.  Moral of the story: pee faster, always find a tree, and don’t wear brightly-colored underwear – it could attract unwanted, and unexpected, attention.   

Tanning at Las Tasas

A 15-minute walk through a field of thistle, then a 90-minute walk hopping from rock to rock down the river.  This was how I began my off day last week.  Why?  Because I wanted to spend the day at Las Tasas, the swimming hole tucked deep into the estancia’s land.  I had ensured that the guests would not be taken there that day, so I was in the clear to enjoy it all by myself.  During the trek there, I was getting really excited to have this beautiful spot all to myself, and toyed with the idea of skinny dipping.  Why not?  I was in the middle of nowhere in Argentina, on private land, and knew that everyone else from the estancia would be at the cattle station during the day. 








When I arrived at the swimming hole, I took a moment to relish in the beauty of this spot: sun rays reflected in the pool, gorgeous cliffs, and green trees decorating the banks.  However, after this dutiful minute of appreciation, I lost no time in stripping off my sweaty clothes and diving into the reflective water. Whilst wallowing about in the water, I decided to follow through on my impulse to ditch the suit and commune with nature in my birthday suit.  I giggled like a little girl as I did it, sure that I was getting away with something.  Channeling my inner mermaid, I then beached myself on a partially submerged rock to bask in the sunshine and savor the feeling of freedom that comes with skinny dipping.  I had just gotten used to the little fishes nibbling at the tiny hairs on my legs when all of a sudden, something jumped on my hand!  As any self-respecting mermaid would, I reacted with flailing arms and a little yelp of surprise.  This yelp of surprise became a muffled scream as I caught movement behind me….


People had hiked up to the pools from down river and were standing just about 20 yards away, looking in my direction!  And I was naked! AHHHHH!  Thank goodness that I had my suit with me (I was using it as a pillow); if I had left it on the rocks where I got into the pool, I don’t know what I would have done!  Anyhow, I tried desperately to play it cool: slid off the rock and into the water, pulled my suit back on, then returned to the rock as if nothing was amiss and I had been dressed the entire time.  Because they approached from behind, I have convinced myself that they just saw my bare back, nothing else.  And I’m sticking to that theory.  When I returned to the estancia and shared my story of mortification, I was received with belly-laughter and exclamations of surprise from the other guides.  Our boss told me that they hadn’t seen people up there in over three years.  Naturally they’d show up the one time I’m there and decide to unleash my inner hippie.  Moral of the story: you’re never alone, even in the middle of nowhere; if you chose to skinny dip, always keep your suit nearby and have a friend as a lookout. 
the scene of the crime...this is post-incident








No comments:

Post a Comment